Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Episode 014: Ignorance is Bliss


Welcome to The Diad Presents!

No real preamble this week, let's just get right to it.

The show can be downloaded here,

or streamed here:




And the track list below:

# - Game - Track - System - Composer
1 - Dragon Slayer: The Legend of Heroes - Boss Theme - Mega Drive - Mieko Ishikawa & Masaaki Kawai (Falcom Sound Team JDK)
2 - Rune Worth: Kokui no Kikoushi - Zanoba Fortress - PC-88 - Kazunori Hasegama & Shigeru Tomita
3 - Energy Breaker - Wind that Whips the Wildernes - SNES - Yukio Nakajima
4 - Lam-Mal / Ranmaru - Track 7 (R_7) - X68000 - BAKI and/or Ryu Takami, Arranged by Akiragumi (Akira Sato, BAKI, Ryu Takami)
5 - Wild Guns - Last Roundup / Final Fight (Part One) - SNES - Hiroyuki Iwatsuki & Haruo Ohashi
6 - Megablast - Round 1 - Arcade - Yasuhisa Watanabe

5 comments:

  1. Great selections! I'm especially glad you played an X68000 track. That is my favorite VGM sound: Good sampling over good FM synthesis....although the X68000 would have been no doubt out of my price range, and I wasn't born Japanese, and I'm STILL not Japanese......I would have loved to have had one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey ND,

      I think this is the first "true" X68K track I've played so far. I did have the homebrew game in episode 009, but that's a bit of a grey area.

      As for cost, you're right. From what I read, at launch the X68000 was sold for ¥369,000 (roughly $3000 in 1987 dollars, equivalent to around $6000 in 2012 dollars).

      I guess there is always emulation... or even better, this show!

      Delete
  2. Wow, $3K for a gaming machine....it makes the $650 Neo Geo seem like an outright steal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. And accounting for inflation I think the Neo Geo is somewhere in the $1,200 range. The 3DO was about the same when it plopped. I guess nowadays people spend tens of thousands on "gaming rigs," but it isn't quite the same as 3K for stock hardware.

      Oh also, since we were talking about x68K, have you checked out the Etoile Princesse soundtrack? A lot of pretty neat stuff on there.

      Delete
    2. Let me clarify, it's a peppy and fairly different-sounding OST.

      Delete