Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Episode 035: Dungeons & Dragons

Welcome to The Diad Presents!

You find yourself sitting at a well-worn table in a tavern called "The Meddlesome Metroid." The drinks are weak, and the serving staff hasn't a full set of teeth between them. It's your kind of place.

You stare into your mug of yellow water and ponder your next adventure. A pixelated figure approaches and taps you on the shoulder. "Fancy a podcast?" he asks...

The show can be downloaded here,

or streamed here:



As I mentioned, I made use of several articles, some of which are listed below:
And the wonderful Matt Colville and his YouTube channel here.


And the track list below:

# - Game - Track - System - Composer
1 - Pool of Radiance - Diogene Cave - NES / FC - David Warhol
2 - Curse of the Azure Bonds - Dungeon 3 - PC-98 - Takeshi Yasuda (?)
3 - Dungeons & Dragons: Warriors of the Eternal Sun - Azcan Wander - Genesis / MD - Paul Mudra, Frank Klepacki, Dwight Okahara
4 - Dungeons & Dragons: Warriors of the Eternal Sun - Lavapit Combat - Genesis / MD - Paul Mudra, Frank Klepacki, Dwight Okahara
5 - Eye of the Beholder - Dungeon 8 - Sega CD - Yuzo Koshiro & Motohiro Kawashima
6 - Eye of the Beholder - Track 6 - PC-98 - Yuzo Koshiro
7 - Eye of the Beholder - Danger Lurks Ahead - SNES - Tatsuya Nishimura
8 - Pool of Radiance - Intro - Amiga - Wally Beben

9 comments:

  1. H. G. Wells made a wargame! This is one of the greatest things I have ever heard.

    You mean he wasn't just the father of science fiction, my favorite writer of literary fiction (probably), and a brilliant social critic -- he also played a pivotal roll in the history of wargames (and thus of games themselves)?

    And, after skimming Little Wars' Wikipedia page I see that he could be the father of the in-character game manual as well.

    I know what my next book's going to be.

    Um... anyway, back to the podcast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya Spritz!

      Not to mention that he was a noted, outspoken pacifist! I had a similar reaction to you, and I knew I had to talk about it a little bit.

      Glad you enjoyed my ridiculous tangent

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. http://buttonmuseum.org/sites/default/files/EN-we-are-not-alone-close-encounters-of-the-third-kind-button-busy-beaver-button-museum.png

      Delete
  3. Enjoyed all the great info. I don't play D&D myself; I made character sheets with friends a few times, but that's as far as my attention span would allow back in the day.

    Also really cool that your guest picked those tracks! I listened to those OSTs just last week, and I picked out Azcan Wander as a standout. It reminds me of Ill Communication-era Beastie Boys, and would make a fine VGM Karaoke Rap.

    I find your D&D origin story quite interesting. I think you'd really enjoy "Imaginary Worlds", which is a new podcast I've been listening to. The host had similar trepidation as you did over playing the game, but recently gave it a go, 'for the sake of the podcast'......and got hooked. It's a really, really good podcast and I recommend it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm actually a subscriber to the podcast! I think I may have even been so since the start. But I haven't listened to it in a long time.

      Basically I am a robot that only has room for VGM podcasts and the occasional Retronauts. I need to revisit it, because I remember liking his presentation.

      I've basically come to the conclusion that I need to do part II, but not sure if I will do it next episode, or hold it off. I like the history lesson, but I feel guilty about skipping the games. Especially after Michael had some thoughtful tidbits to offer.

      Delete
    2. Let me put it this way: there are TWO CAPCOM ARCADE BRAWLERS in the D&D video game lineage.

      Do you know how many awesome tracks there probably are in there?

      Delete
    3. I know because they are generally speaking my favorite brawlers. My favorite part about them, especially Mystara, is that you can choose multiple paths a la Guardian Heroes. It makes the games more fun on repeat plays.

      Regarding Imaginary Worlds, you should at least check out the D&D episodes. You might find that they have a lot of love to give.

      Delete
    4. Hey, I'm sold. I have a loner drive this week and I'll see if I can start an episode

      Delete