Wednesday, October 4, 2017

Episode 030: Gunpei Yokoi Part II - WonderSwan

Welcome to The Diad Presents!

This week features part two of a two-part spectacular! Get your WonderSwan on.

The show can be downloaded here,

or streamed here:


Some of the sources I relied on are here:
And the track list is below:

# - Game - Track - System - Composer
1 - Raku Jongg - Track 15 - WonderSwan - ?
2 - Engacho! - Ending Theme - WonderSwan - Suguru Yamaguchi
3 - "Gekitou! Crash Gear Turbo - Gear Champion League" - BGM 02 - WonderSwan - ?
4 - "Rockman EXE - N1 Battle" - PET Configuration - WonderSwan - Yusuke Beppu
5 - "Rockman EXE - N1 Battle" - Navi Clash! (Regular Battle) - WonderSwan - Yusuke Beppu
6 - Pocket Fighter - BGM 05 - WonderSwan - Satoshi Ise & Norihiko Togashi
7 - Pocket Fighter - BGM 11 - WonderSwan - Satoshi Ise & Norihiko Togashi
8 - "Star Hearts - Hoshi to Daichi no Shisha" - BGM 16 - WonderSwan - Yusuke Beppu & Shigenori Masuko
9 - "Medarot - Perfect Edition Kabuto Version" - BGM 02 - WonderSwan - ?

4 comments:

  1. I'll have you know your show was competing with the Legacy Music Hour year in review AND Pixeltunes' new episodes for the right to occupy my ears.....and thought to myself, "Hmmm....The Diad and Gunpei Yokoi II? I'm gonna put my drums on that first."

    So many great tracks! The one Wonderswan spec I wish you would have talked about is the most appropriate one for this show--the sound chip. Engacho! sounded a little like the Sega PSG, but most everything else sounded very Gameboy-like.

    And that ending track! So appropriate. You know how to pick 'em!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ND! That is quite a compliment. I remarked on the trio of VGM bombs dropped this morning myself.

      And you have noted what I realized after the fact: I totally neglected the sound hardware. Don't worry, I'm making it up somewhat in the next episode :)

      I was talking to Alan after the show was finished and said something along the lines of "man, if you didn't know any better you would think the WonderSwan has some great music!" but what I meant was: there are a lot of sub-par OSTs kicking around. I hope I found some standouts

      Delete
  2. Man, this two-parter on Gunpei Yokoi has just been phenomenal. There was so much about Nintendo history I didn't know about. Who knew that if it weren't for a grabber claw toy we may never have had Mario and Zelda. I'll have to remember not to trigger that butterfly effect if I ever time travel!

    Also, as said above: solid jams throughout! Thoroughly entertained. 5 stars. Would ride again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks JT. The Gunpei Yokoi duo of episodes is (to date) my favorite, or at least my most proud of. Composition of that last sentence notwithstanding, I hope you get my meaning.

      Delete