Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Episode 017: Sweet 16B

Welcome to The Diad Presents!

This week, if you don't buy me a second super expensive convertible, I'm going to throw another huge tantrum. Also, I want a second giant party and you have to invite Ashley H. and Ashley P. I'm even more super serious about this. Totes.

The show can be downloaded here,

or streamed here:





And the track list below:

# - Game - Track - System - Composer
1 - Cyber Police ESWAT - BGM 1 - Arcade - Yasuhiro Kawakami
2 - Ryu Kyu - Round 11-20 - Arcade - Nasu Kazumi
3 - Excite League - Japan Series - Arcade - Possibly Yasuhiro Kawakami
4 - Heavyweight Champ - Level Select - Arcade - Katsuhiro Hayashi
5 - Altered Beast - Name Entry - Arcade - Tohru Nakabayashi
6 - "Wonder Boy III - Monster Lair" - Flower Garden - Arcade - Shinichi Sakamoto
7 - Tough Turf - Stage 8 (Final Battle) - Arcade - Shinichi Seya

3 comments:

  1. You can dry Opa-Opa's tears by checking out the Wikipedia entry for Fantasy Zone II. The gist is that the arcade 16c hardware doesn't exist, but is nomenclature used to describe constraints used by developers of a remake of the original Master System version of Fantasy Zone II. I believe the remake was for the PS2. You got it partly correct: They held themselves to 16b specs, but gave themselves extra RAM considerations.

    Do I even need to mention how much I loved this episode? As soon as the Ryu Kyuu track came up, I was jamming. I only recently discovered the soundtrack myself; it has some awesome southeast Asian influences, like gamelan and so forth.

    I love this era of sound. Given that there are more than 40 games using the System 16c hardware, I hope you eventually get around to doing a sequel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey ND,

      I'm glad you liked the tracks!

      As for Fantasy Zone II, I realize that 16C is more of a code of conduct than actual hardware, but I am almost certain I read somewhere that there is an actual cabinet running it. Of course, it could be nothing more than a Raspberry Pi with MAME, or something... And I'm not sure where I read it at this point. I need to start including sources in the blog post so I can go back to this stuff.

      One of the self-imposed restrictions I had in place for this episode was to try to stick to 16B only games. A lot of the most popular also ran on 16A (e.g. Shinobi, Tetris). If I do a sequel, I will open it up to the full run of System 16 games. I mean, I didn't even play a Golden Axe track.

      My fear was that the tracks I played were a bit too similar feeling, but what can I say, I have a type of VGM I enjoy, and I tend to play from that pool.

      Delete