Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Episode 012: Triple Threat Match

Welcome to The Diad Presents!

We are crammin' in the music this week. Might as well start now!

The show can be downloaded here,

or streamed here:



As for the links mentioned during the show:

The OSW Review website: http://oswreview.com/

The Jackie Chan mini-doc:




And the track list below:

# - Game - Track - System - Composer
1 - "Kirby 64 - The Crystal Shards" - Shiver Star - N64 - Jun Ishikawa, Hirokazu Ando
2 - "Kirby 64 - The Crystal Shards" - Music 002 - N64 - Jun Ishikawa, Hirokazu Ando
3 - Muscle Bomber (The Body Explosion) / Saturday Night Slam Masters - Sydney - Arcade - Masaki Izutani, Toshio Kajino
4 - Tenryu Genichiro no Pro Wrestling Revolution / HammerLock Wrestling - "Theme of ""Ace Wakata”" - SNES/SFC - Unknown
5 - Natsume Championship Wrestling - Players Select - SNES/SFC - Iku Mizutani, Kinuyo Yamashita, Hiroyuki Iwatsuki
6 - City Hunter - Escape from Hell - PC-Engine - Unknown
7 - Dragon Warrior III - Heavenly Flight / Ramia’s Flight - NES/FC - Koichi Sugiyama
8 - Final Fantasy VII - Crazy Motorcycle Chase - Playstation - Nobuo Uematsu

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the Jackie Chan link! When he made his reentry into the American movie scene with Rumble in the Bronx, I became an immediate fan. Thankfully, I had the benefit of some Chinese friends who had access to his Hong Kong films, as well as the best video store in the Northwest(that would be Movie Madness), so I was able to catch up on all his early works.

    I am not a wrestling fan, but I used to be when I was a kid. Judging by your comments, I probably watched around the time you did; which was about '87 to about '91(that was when I stopped believing my Dad's insistance that wrestling was real). I saw Wrestlemania III on pay-per-view, and even experienced the excitement of seeing Hulk Hogan wrestle in Portland once. I started with Big John Studd and Mr. Wonderful and Roddy Piper, and lost interest shortly after Rick Flair crossed over to the WWF.

    Wrestling made for some great social commentary. I started to notice how characters' allegiances often mirrored political events, like how the Bolshevik's breakup occurred as the Soviet Union collapsed, because one of the members was Soviet and the other was Ukrainian.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey ND,

      I'm glad you liked the Jackie Chan short. I found it to be a really interesting perspective on his work, and it made me appreciate his movies much more. It also gives a pretty thick line of demarcation between his Chinese and American works. The first movie I ever "watched" with my daughter was 1985's Police Story.

      I may find a way to talk more about the Hong Kong movie scene in a future episode. Especially John Woo and the so-called "Hong Kong blood opera" genre. Alan and I were pretty big consumers of the movies in high school. Can't go wrong with a John Woo / Chow Yun Fat combo.

      Up until his death a year or two ago, Roddy Piper lived in the Portland area. You were close enough to be body slammed by him. I almost met him through my old job, but missed my chance. Not a wrestling-related job, I might add.

      My parents wisely discovered that renting a wrestling pay-per-view cassette tape provided 3 hours of relative peace. Me and the middle brother would watch (and wrestle) in front of the TV.

      Like I mentioned on the episode, I haven't watched anything that has been released in almost 20 years, but I still am fascinated with a lot of the tangentially-related parts. Like the story of Bruiser Brody being stabbed to death in a locker room in Puerto Rico during an event. Hmm. Why do so many wrestlers get stabbed?

      And I love a lot of the old wrestling games too. The N64 AKI/THQ games, Fire Pro Wrestling D and X premium (on the Dreamcast and SFC respectively).

      Delete
  2. I was just reminded by Facebook that one year ago I shared the same link to the Jackie Chan video. I thought that was pretty funny.

    I guess I'm nothing if not predictable?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete